ADA4960-1 5 GHz, Low Distortion ADC Driver/Line Driver
The ADA4960-1 is a high performance, differential amplifier optimized for RF and IF applications. It achieves better than 63 dB IMD3 performance for frequencies up to and beyond 1 GHz, making it an ideal driver for 8-bit to 10-bit giga-sample analog-to-digital converters (ADCs).
The buffered inputs of the ADA4960-1 isolate the gain-setting resistor (RG) from the signal inputs, maintaining a constant 10 kΩ input resistance, easing matching and input drive requirements. The ADA4960-1 has a nominal 150 Ω differential output impedance.
The ADA4960-1 is optimized for wideband, low distortion performance for frequencies up to and beyond 1 GHz. These attributes, together with its adjustable gain capability, make this device the amplifier of choice for general-purpose IF and broadband applications where low distortion, noise, and power are critical.
The device is optimized for the best combination of slew rate, bandwidth, and broadband distortion. These attributes allow it to drive a wide variety of ADCs. It is ideally suited for driving mixers, pin diode attenuators, SAW filters, and multi-element discrete devices.
The user accessible gain adjust and bandwidth extension features allow configuration of the ADA4960-1 for line driver and channel equalization applications.
The quiescent current of the ADA4960-1 is typically 60 mA. When disabled, it consumes less than 3 mA, offering excellent input-to-output isolation.
Fabricated on an Analog Devices, Inc., high speed SiGe process, the ADA4960-1 is available in a compact 3 mm × 3 mm, 16-lead LFCSP. It operates over the temperature range of −40°C to +85°C.
- Differential ADC drivers for giga-sample ADCs
- GBPS line drivers with pre-emphasis
- High speed data acquisition
- Electronic surveillance countermeasures
- Pulse capture and conditioning
- Satellite communications
- Single-ended-to-differential converters
- RF/IF gain blocks
Features and Benefits
- −3 dB bandwidth of 5 GHz (AV = 6 dB)
- Single resistor programmable gain: 0 dB to 18 dB
- Differential or single-ended input to differential output
- Low harmonic distortion (HD2/HD3 @ AV = 6 dB)
- −88/−69 dBc @ 250 MHz
- −77/−66 dBc @ 500 MHz
- −73/−72 dBc @ 1 GHz
- IMD3 @ 1 GHz = −63 dBc
- Slew rate
- 8700 V/μs (AV = 6 dB, 2 V step)
- 6600 V/μs (AV = 18 dB, 2 V step)
- Fast settling: 1 ns to 1%, 1.4 ns to 0.1%
- Fast overdrive recovery: 6.7 ns to 1%, 9.3 ns to 0.5%
- Single-supply operation: 5 V
- 0.1 dB gain flatness to 300 MHz
- DC level translation
- Available in 16-lead LFCSP